Looking for a new and exciting opportunity to use your skills and experience working with a compassionate organization, in a brand new building with state-of-the-art equipment? Come join our Hospice team!
Hospice Halifax is a compassionate and supportive community of staff members, volunteers and donors dedicated to providing the best end of life possible for patients and their families. Our Hospice residence opened its doors this past spring.
Hospice Halifax is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from Aboriginal People, African Canadians and racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and all candidates who would contribute to our Hospice community.
Position Title: Casual Food Services Assistant
Reports To: Food Services Coordinator
Primary Function of the Position
The Food Services Assistant is responsible for assisting with preparation and delivery of food services programs to Hospice patients and guests during special events and in the absence of the Food Services Manager or Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Short order cooking for breakfast and/or lunch as requested by the patient.
- In the absence of the Food Services Coordinator, meets with patients to determine the patient’s preferences and desires for food service that day.
- Maintains the refreshment centre in the family kitchen, replenishing coffee, tea and baked goods as necessary and ensuring adequate supplies are available for use.
- As per the established plan of the Food Services Coordinator, delivers previously prepared lunch for the patients. (Volunteers may be available to assist.)
- Checks family and patient refrigerators daily and removes and discards outdated or unlabelled food.
- Supervises and assists volunteers in the main kitchen.
- Records daily temperature checks on all refrigerators and freezers.
- Upholds the utmost standards in food safety, and maintaining currency on food safety requirements
- Makes recommendations to the Food Services Manager on improving food service programs, kitchen facilities and equipment to enhance quality, efficiency, effectiveness and safety.
- Additional duties as required
- Experience with food preparation and short order cooking
- Training in food safety and a current food safety certificate
- Must be comfortable talking with patients and their families
- Strong communication, interpersonal and team-building skills with a warm, compassionate and caring attitude
- Experience providing food services to palliative care patients an asset.
- A background in health care or a desire to work with patients and families in a hospice setting an asset
- Proven strong organizational skills
Competition closes Tuesday, December 10 at 5 p.m.
Please forward a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your interest in working with Hospice Halifax, however, we are not able to respond to telephone enquiries.