Looking for a new and exciting opportunity to use your skills and experience working with a compassionate organization, in a brand new building with state-of-the-art equipment? Come join our Hospice team!
Hospice Halifax is a compassionate and supportive community of staff members, volunteers and donors dedicated to providing the best end of life possible for patients and their families. Our new Hospice residence will be opening its doors in early 2019. Check out our website and Facebook page for more information.
Hospice Halifax is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from Aboriginal People, African Canadians and racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and all candidates who would contribute to our Hospice community.
Position Title: Facilities Manager
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Hours of Work: Full Time Salary
Primary Function of Position
In partnership with volunteers, the Housekeeper and other Hospice staff, this position ensures the maintenance of a safe, clean and attractive environment for patients and their families. This position is responsible for supervising the Housekeeper, maintenance of the building, snow clearing, grounds maintenance and general light maintenance and repairs of equipment and furnishings at the Hospice.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops and maintains a preventative and corrective maintenance program for Hospice Halifax that consists of regular checks and service of equipment and all major systems (heating and cooling, refrigeration, security, nurse call systems, etc.)
- In conjunction with the Housekeeper, develops a schedule for daily, weekly, monthly cleaning tasks
- Performs minor maintenance and repairs on the building, equipment, furnishings and appliances (e.g. painting, carpentry)
- Performs minor plumbing and electrical repairs
- Responsible for lawn and garden maintenance and operation and service of related equipment (e.g. mowers, trimmers, snow blowers, etc.)
- Monitors and maintains all emergency equipment (lights, alarms, smoke detectors and generator)
- Meets the laundry truck weekly
- Assists the Housekeeper with floor maintenance as required
- Responsible for snow clearing of driveways and walkways
- Maintains a clean working environment including maintenance work room, storage and garden shed
- Maintains an inventory of required maintenance supplies and purchases stock
- Other duties as assigned.
Health and Safety
- Observes and practices safe work habits.
- Observes all rules and policies related to health and safety.
- Reports any safety hazards immediately to the CEO.
- Takes part in all safety programs provided by Hospice Halifax (i.e. Emergency Preparedness, WHMIS, Infection Control, Privacy/Confidentiality Training, Fire Safety and others deemed appropriate).
Education and Qualifications:
- Grade 12 education or equivalent
- Minimum 3 years’ experience providing maintenance services; experience in a long term care facility or group home setting preferred
- Experience in general maintenance and carpentry
- Experience with major building systems (e.g. heating, plumbing, refrigeration, auxiliary power, security, etc.)
- Proven resourcefulness and excellent problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to work independently with a minimum of supervision and to participate as a fully cooperative team member.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills with a warm, compassionate and caring attitude.
- Ability to follow written and/or oral instructions.
- Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety regulations
- Mature, responsible individual with a strong desire to support the work of Hospice Halifax and become a dedicated staff team member.
- Physically able to perform the duties of the position and operate related equipment.
- Ability to work more flexible hours, especially during the winter
Additional Requirement of the Position
- Provides maintenance services in a caring and sensitive manner, respecting the privacy and dignity of patients and loved ones.
- Accommodates any reasonable request involving maintenance.
- Creates and maintains a physical environment that contributes to the safety, comfort and quality of life for people in care ad their loved ones.
- Maintains positive patient/guest/team interactions by building a welcoming, helpful environment.
- Supports the Hospice’s efforts at recycling/compositing and/or donating surplus/unwanted supplies.
- Reports to the CEO on a daily basis, participates on committees as required and meets on occasion with the Hospice staff team.
- Provides general supervision for volunteers on a daily basis.
- Participates in Hospice fundraising activities (e.g. Hike for Hospice)
- Positively represents Hospice to the community.
- Follows all Hospice policies and maintains confidentiality of patient/family and Hospice information
- Helps out in other areas of the Hospice residence as needed.
Competition closing date: Thursday, September 20th 5pm
Thank you for your interest in working with Hospice Halifax, however, we are not able to respond to telephone enquiries. Only those who will be interviewed will be contacted.
Please forward your resume and cover letter directly to email@example.com and indicate whether you prefer full time, part time or casual hours.