Making connections, making a difference
Hospice Companions, powered by Nav-CARE, is a compassionate community program designed to help people in the community who are receiving palliative or end of life care.
Hospice Companion is a free of charge program offered by specially trained volunteers who regularly visit people who are on the Hospice waitlist but living at home.
At the moment Hospice Companions will be supporting clients on the Hospice Halifax waitlist only.
Please see additional criteria here:
- You must live at home in the Halifax Regional Municipality
- You must have family or friends supporting you in your home
- You must have services that support your health and/or personal care, as Companions are unable to assist with these areas
- Your home must be a safe environment for volunteers to visit. An assessment will be done before you are paired with a Companion.
- Please note that we may not be able to pair you with a volunteer if the program is full or you live in an area volunteers are unable to travel to.
Frequently Asked Questions
Hospice Companions are specially trained volunteers who develop a relationship with you based on your goals. They have time to listen, support decision-making, keep you company, and assist with practical tasks. They also find community resources to meet evolving needs—with a goal to improve quality of life.
Hospice Companions do not provide personal care or health care, but try to fill the practical and social gap left behind by more formal services.
Hospice Companions clients and families are often those who are at risk for social isolation and/or caregiver fatigue. They may be receiving other home and health services but may still have some unmet needs despite all the care. Adults with a palliative diagnosis who are living at home and have concerns such as:
- Loneliness or social isolation
- Caregiver fatigue
- Recent loss or multiple losses
- Mobility or sensory challenges
- Increased disengagement
- Coping with transitions and multiple decisions
- Difficulty finding or accessing information or resources.
- Those living with unmet needs despite receiving other services.
Contact Bisi Akintola, Nav-CARE Volunteer Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, 902 446 0929 (ext.301)
- Help relieve feelings of loneliness, isolation, and anxiety
- Help locate local services and resources
- Assist you in re-engaging in hobbies and other interests
- Offer one-on-one relationships tailored to your needs
Learn more about open Nav-CARE volunteer opportunities
If you have any questions please contact: