Are you looking for a work culture that encourages patient-focused bedside nursing, greater time flexibility to carry out tasks and more meaningful interactions with patients and their families? Then come join our exciting new team!
Hospice Halifax is a compassionate and supportive community of staff members, volunteers and donors dedicated to making dying and living as comfortable and as meaningful as possible at the end of life. Our new Hospice 10-bed residence opened this past spring. Check out our website and Facebook page for more information.
Hospice Halifax is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from Aboriginal People, African Canadians and racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and all candidates who would contribute to our Hospice community.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Registered Nurse
REPORTS TO: Nurse Manager
HOURS of WORK: Full Time
Primary Function of the Position:
Hospice Halifax is a community of compassion and care dedicated to providing the best end of life possible for patients and their families. Under the direction of the Nurse Manager and in collaboration with the other members of the Hospice team, including volunteers, the Registered Nurse (RN) is responsible for providing end-of-life care and support to patients/families admitted to the Hospice. As required, the position provides support and direction to Licensed Practical Nurses, Care Team Assistants and Volunteers involved in direct and indirect patient and family care.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participates in the admission of new patients and collaborates with the team to develop a plan of care with the patient and family;
- Provides direct nursing and palliative care to patients according to the established care plan, ensuring that the emotional, spiritual and physical comfort needs and safety of patients and their families are met to the greatest possible extent on an ongoing basis;
- Performs routine nursing duties in accordance with Hospice policies and procedures and Standards of Nursing Practice as defined by the College of Registered Nurses of Nova Scotia;
- Maintains the standards of accurate and complete documentation regarding a patient’s status.
Education and Experience
- Current registration with the College of Registered Nurses of Nova Scotia
- Experience working in palliative care and/or have training in the principles, practices and methods of Palliative Care Nursing
- Demonstrated experience in pain and symptom management
- Current CPR and/or commitment to renewal
Other Skills and Abilities
- Proven ability to effectively communicate with all levels of clinical and non-clinical personnel with a warm, compassionate and caring attitude and a commitment to teamwork.
- Positive attitude and a willingness to “go the extra mile” when delivering quality care and building positive community relations
- Ability to handle difficult situations in a caring, empathetic manner with good judgement.
- Comfortable discussing death and dying with patients and families, and able to work with patients living with and dying from advanced illness
- Strong coping skills, self-awareness and commitment to personal well-being
- Ability to work day and night shifts
- Demonstrated computer skills and experience with electronic information systems.
Start date for the position is dependent on candidate availability.
Please note: We are not able to respond to phone enquiries. For a more detailed copy of the job description, please contact Marilyn Hicks at the email address below.
Please forward your resume and cover letter directly to email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest in working with Hospice Halifax.