You Can Designate Your Gift
Your gift can be applied to the building capital or to a preferred aspect of hospice operations. Cash can be contributed as an outright gift or pledged over multiple years.
In-kind contributions of product are eligible to receive a tax receipt authorized by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and are calculated at the market value of the gift.
You can make an in-memoriam gift to Hospice Halifax or name the hospice as a beneficiary charity at the time of funeral arrangements.
A planned gift to Hospice Halifax permits you to organize your philanthropic giving to support your personal values while minimizing the after-tax costs. Planned giving is most commonly arranged through a will bequest, life insurance, RRSPs and RRIFs, and/or gifts of securities:
- Bequest. One of the most tax effective ways to leave a legacy is by naming Hospice Halifax as a partial or full beneficiary of your RRSP or RRIF.
- A charitable tax receipt can be applied up to 100% of net income in the year of death and the preceding tax year.
- Life Insurance Policy. Hospice Halifax can be named as the beneficiary or owner of a life insurance policy, whether the policy is fully paid up or, in some cases, if premium payments still remain. A gift of life insurance enables you to make a large future gift to Hospice Halifax without financial impact during your lifetime. Various charitable tax deductions may also apply to this type of gift.
- Gift of Securities. Attractive tax benefits are available for the contribution of appreciated stocks, bonds, mutual funds, flow-through shares or stock options. Download a Letter of Authorization From Donor to Broker for Securities Traded on a Canadian Stock Exchange
- By contributing publicly traded securities you eliminate the capital gains tax payable upon sale of appreciated securities on the market. Hospice Halifax’s policy is to sell publicly traded shares immediately on receipt of the gift. Tax receipts are calculated on the basis of market value on the date of transfer.
To learn more about how your support the hospice residence, contact Gordon Neal, CEO, at 902-446-0929.